Saturday, August 28, 2010

Candy Corn and High School Art Projects

That's right..I caved.  I bought some candy corn even though it is still August and candy corn is more of a fall thing.  Oh well, it was delicious!

Well I hope you have had a great week!  Sorry I have not written on here in an entire week but I was crazy busy with the first week of school and our open house on Thursday night.  I was at school until 9 pm Thursday!  I think I am going to have some wonderful classes though so I am excited for that!  
I have been working on getting my students ready to start their first project on Monday.  My intro to art students will be doing a project that kind of resembles a patchwork quilt.  Here are some examples from previous years:


 

 
 Basically students divide an 18 x 24 piece of tagboard into a 3 x 3 inch square grid and draw whatever they want on top for their subject matter.  I then have them use at least five different art media (paint, cut paper, colored pencils, marker, pen, etc.) to create an artwork that shows contrast between their subject matter (positive shape) and the background (negative shape).  We just learned ALL about the Elements of Art and Principles of Design so they will also have to make their artwork balanced, unified, show movement, pattern, etc!

Sorry to bore you with lesson ideas!  I am officially in school mode!  I have not done any art for myself this whole week and I am starting to miss it!  Hopefully next week/weekend will be a little calmer!

Meanwhile I am keeping myself sane with music (as usual) such as this lovely song by  Ray LaMontagne.  

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!  I will try to write more next week:) 

1 comment:

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

Haha you caved! My weakness is those candy valentines hearts for valentines day. Mmm!

The kids art is amazing very carefree even with the structure. What grades do you teach?

:) I can't believe school is already back in session