Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Inspiration: 1980's Childcraft

I don't know if you remember the Childcraft books from the 70's and 80's?! They were published by World Book (remember when people actually had encyclopedias?!) My Grandmother was one of World Book's top sellers around 20-30 years ago. My family always scored free encyclopedias and lucky for me...the Childcraft How and Why Library



Recently I have been going through these old books and have been finding some very cool illustrations that really inspire me! Check them out!

The book I will be exploring tonight is:


Look at these adorable clouds!


Check out these lovely flowers



And I just love these pen and ink figures...so fun:)



Some pictures are a little odd though....check out this Creeper...YIKES!


And my favorite:


All I can say is...Yay for 1980's illustrations! Have a great night! I am off to watch Lost!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG My mom and dad used to have those for my brothers and I !!! I would spend hours looking through them! The illustrations are very whimsical and fun.

Stela said...

wow! how cool!
The creeper is pretty awesome! haha!!

nolaa gallery said...

we used to get monthly Disney books too in the mail, oh, the memories! Those encyclopedia ones are a great inspiration for sure! Can't wait to see what it brings out in you!

C. Beth said...

Great stuff! The guy in the hat with the sword and the, um, very phallic-looking something--that is weird.

Anonymous said...

Michelle,It turns out the woman who lives down the street from me and is an artist was one of the major illustrators for world book and child craft, I don't remember if I told you that or not. Small world.MAC